Sunday, February 4, 2007

Friendship Month

“The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship,” said William Blake, English poet, painter, engraver; one of the earliest and greatest figures of Romanticism whose work was filled with religious visions rather than with subjects from everyday life.

     It appears to me that I am moving towards the same kind of vision for it seems that everyday events in life always take in hand religious experiences.  We say grace.  We wish people well.  We love.  We take care of ourselves.  We take care of others.  They are to me real religious experiences.

     Friendship, a manifestation of charity, especially comes to mind in February, the month of friendship for everyone.  Our very nature of being gregarious extrapolates how we exhibit this friendship.

     We join organizations that provide cherished friendships like alumni associations, service organizations, fraternities, sodalities and the like.

     I am especially touched by the AISAAM, an association of former students and staff of the American/International School of Manila.  These exemplary people show their appreciation of their friendship through chat rooms and reunions and reminisce on “glory days” and work together to immortalize the relationships with special projects and visits.  I am happy to be identified with this group.  Truly, the connection has kept me young and proud of these my former students and co-workers!

     Then, too, there is my membership in the Knights of Columbus, a fraternal service organization that combines the practice of religious beliefs and serving the community.  I have made good friends there who share my ways of bringing social amelioration assistance to the unfortunate and destitute squatters of Las Piñas City, Philippines for the last six years.

     Beyond these, we recognize special friendships that transcend challenges, tragedies, successes and happiness and now rest in a surreally spiritual pedestal.  I am referring to that unfathomable relationship we have with our spouses.  We keep going together despite the tribulations.  We continue to build beyond rhyme and reason for we believe in that marriage bond and know our moral and spiritual responsibilities.

     What about that really special friendship beyond our spouses that has overcome the test of time?  Some have lovers…Prince Charles?  Others, just extraordinary friends!

     I have a number of extraordinary friends.  Yet, one stands out!  His name is Eddy.  We have been friends since our freshman year in college over 45 years ago.  We have no legal bonds to keep us going as friends.  We just mutually keep the friendship going with no expectations of any kind.  We see ourselves in each other.  We both struggle the same way in making our lives better.  We share the same interests in writing, in community work, in teaching, in religion, in love and in never leaving anyone in need to the extent we are able to.  We see each other beyond our faults.  We forgive each others shortcomings and transgressions without conditions.  We never judge each other.  We are just there to help one another.  Our families have grown together with us.  My children are his children.  His children are my children.

     We are more than just friends.  We are more than just brothers.  I believe that what Eddy and I have is building on the spirituality of friendship that Jesus perfectly lived with His people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I cannot believe my eyes for what I was reading and my heart for what I felt. It really is super nice to read a masterpiece like this blog specially if one of the subjects  is---- I, ME, and  MYSELF, Bay.

I could not thank the Good Lord enough for the gift of friendship and you for making it possible unconditionally through the years!

Thanks again. I hope we can continue this kind of relationship  in the next life, Bay! :-)  HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Bay EDDY, your best friend through THICK & THIN and no matter what it takes!